A child was reported to have been nearly abducted from an Anchorage School District in Alaska. The student was walking to Ptarmigan Elementary School on Friday morning when a man attempted to abduct him. The abduction attempt is the second to occur in the same school district in the last week.
The school sent an email immediately after the incident on Friday warning parents of the abduction attempt. The email said,
"The student involved this morning was able to get away and is safe, but it is clear that our entire community must come together to assure that all of our children are safe traveling to and from school."
Ptarmigan Elementary School is located less than 2 miles away from the Costco on DeBarr Road where police say the first abduction attempt occurred last Friday. A middle school student was waiting for the bus near the Costco when a man attempted to abduct her.
According to police spokesman MJ Thim, the man pulled up and grabbed the girl trying to "force the student into his vehicle. She bites and kicks and gets away" before running around a mile to Clarke Middle School. The police have said they do not know if the abduction attempts are related.
The Anchorage School District released a list of safety tips in response to the attacks:
– Stay with a group.
– Always walk with at least one friend, two or three is even better.
– If a stranger offers you a ride, say "NO!" and stay far away from their car.
– If a stranger follows you on foot, get away from him or her as quickly as you can. You can run and yell loudly, "HELP!"
– If a stranger follows you in a car, turn around and go the other direction.
– Never leave school with a stranger.
– Tell a trusted adult if a stranger is hanging around the school, playground or public bathroom.
– Leave items and clothing that display your name at home so a stranger cannot read it and use it to talk with you.
– If you arrive home alone, call your mother, father or other trusted adult to let them know you are home and all right. Keep the door locked, don't open the door for strangers and don't tell strangers that you are home alone.
– Never accept things from a stranger.
– If a stranger asks you a question, don't talk to them.
– Run away.
– Don't go anywhere with a stranger.
Tips? Info? Send me a message!