By Earnest Jones   |  08-16-2017   News
Photo credit: WCNC.com

Moderation is necessary for almost all undertaking revolving around human affairs. A 25-year-old mother of two had an intense desire for bodybuilding and this drove her to the extremes when it came to the consumption of supplements.

The mother has been reported to have died from a protein overdose as revealed by her family, which also said that she was preparing for a bodybuilding competition that was underway.

The Australian media received a report from Meegan Hefford’s family revealing that they found half a dozen different containers of protein supplements in her kitchen.

The health practitioners believe that the supplements lead to her death. Thereafter, it was discovered that Hefford had a rare genetic condition called Urea Cycle Disorder. By consuming the protein products, she was gradually killing herself.

A registered dietician and nutritionist with BE Nutrition in Charlotte, Basheerah Enahora, revealed that Hefford’s body didn’t break down urea, which is the nitrogenous compound from protein.

The nutritionist also revealed that most individuals don’t have to be worried about that disorder, but says there is still a lesson to be learned for anyone who takes supplements.

She revealed that when one is out buying supplements, they may be doing more harm than good. “Supplements are, as the word says, it should be a supplement to a good dietary pattern.”

She says while some products can help certain people, everyone should research them thoroughly before buying.

Enahora also revealed that people ought to understand that the supplement industry is not regulated. “Make sure that what the company claims are in the product is actually what's in the product because there's no oversight.”

She also says protein supplements are too-often marketed and perceived as a quick or healthy fix. “We think there's like this magic answer that if we just had this one thing that's what's going to make the biggest difference for us, and it's not.”

An article that was recently released by Time magazine revealed that although shakes and supplements can be beneficial, they don’t have all the nutrients that one would get from natural sources, which are healthier and safer.

Source: http://www.wcnc.com/news/health/25-yr-old-mom-killed-by-protein-overdose-from-shakessupplements-what-you-should-know/464713762

Share this article


On The Goldwater you can comment anonymously, meaning you can post freely without being tracked or monitored. Your Identity is hidden from others.
0 Comment/s


What do you think about this article?
Name
Email
Subject
Comment *
File