The fun and excitement from an internet challenge game were just temporary, if not fleeting, but the pain and scars it left on a 15-year-old boy will remain in his memory forever.
Teen Kyland Clark is still wearing the scars after participating in the dangerous “Hot Water Challenge” that has gone wrong.
Clark recalls that just last week he and a friend were looking up the hot water challenge on YouTube. Then he fell asleep, and he says his friend then heated up some water and poured it on him supposedly as a “joke.”
<iframe width="476" height="267" src="https://abc13.com/video/embed/?pid=3840341" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
The pain Clark felt from the cruel stunt was certainly not funny. Clark shares: “When I came to my senses, the water got hot and I just got up and ripped my shirt off.”
The teen ran to the bathroom to try to find a way to ease the pain.
Clark had to stay in the hospital for a week to treat the second-degree burns he suffered on his back, chest, and face.
While his doctors say Clark should heal, it would take a few more months before Clark’s pigment will be back to normal.
Doctors are also saying that it is unfortunate that they’re seeing more people land in the emergency room because of the said internet game challenge.
Dr. Ed Bartkus, the EMS director at Methodist Hospital in Indiana, warns about the dangerous internet game challenge that no one should take up: “It's suggesting to people that they can try it and they won't be hurt, but they will be. I can guarantee it.”
He also says people, especially teens, should not be swayed by peer pressure to do something foolish. He cautions: "If your friends are telling you to do this, they are not good friends."