By Earnest Jones  |  05-29-2017   News
Photo credit: Igor Stevanovic | Dreamstime.com

A fresh raid has been carried out by armed police in Manchester amid the unfortunate reports of an explosion. This comes almost one week after the attack at Manchester Arena that claimed the lives of 22 people. The raid was accompanied by screams and an explosion as reported by the Guardian.

Explosions were reported to be coming from near Quantock Close and Selworth Road in Moss Side. Police have deployed dogs as they conduct investigations in the area which they’ve also closed off the roads.

A statement was released by the police shortly after the raid. They said that they had arrested a 25-year-old man in the Old Trafford area on suspicion of offenses contrary to the Terrorism Act. Investigations have led to the arrest of fourteen people, two of whom have since been released without charge. Twelve men remain in custody for questioning.

The Greater Manchester police spokesperson said: “During the search, three men were arrested on suspicion of offenses contrary to the terrorist act but were soon after de-arrested.” Pictures posted on social media showed armed officers in Moss Side.

The authorities did not clarify as to whether they gained access to the property using a controlled blast. The NHS revealed that 54 people were injured in the attack and they are still being treated in eight hospitals, with 19 receiving critical care. A total of 116 people required hospital care, police previously said.

The operation comes just hours after the home secretary said members of bomber Abedi’s terror network could still be at large. Amber Rudd said parts of the suicide attacker’s circle were “potentially” unaccounted for, despite optimism that a previous wave of arrests had quelled further threats.

CCTV stills of Abedi wearing glasses and casual clothes were issued by police on Saturday. The issue was unveiled in a plea for information about his movements between 18 May and the attack. Hours after he was captured on camera, the 22-year-old was dead, having attacked a concert by American singer Ariana Grande attended predominantly by young girls.

In response, the police conducted raids in several cities as counter-terror efforts focused on cornering his suspected criminal ring.

Source:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/may/28/armed-police-raid-moss-side-report-of-explosion

Share this article


On The Goldwater you can comment anonymously, meaning you can post freely without being tracked or monitored. Your Identity is hidden from others.
0 Comment/s


What do you think about this article?
Name
Email
Subject
Comment *
File
08-09-2017   News 13 Comment/s

What is your Opinion on Robot Rape?