By Savannah Smith  |  07-19-2018   News
Photo credit: @wsbtv | Twitter

A man who ordered raw oysters at a Florida restaurant had no clue it would prove to be a fatal decision. Health officials said the man died after contracting an infection from the Vibrio vulnificus bacteria.

Authorities have yet to release the identity of the man. They only confirmed that he was 71 years old who ate the oysters on July 8 at a Sarasota restaurant and died two days later.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Man dies after eating raw oysters, health department says: <a href="https://t.co/dIRRvETI4D">https://t.co/dIRRvETI4D</a> <a href="https://t.co/xgkDoNSzrk">pic.twitter.com/xgkDoNSzrk</a></p>&mdash; WSB-TV (@wsbtv) <a href="https://twitter.com/wsbtv/status/1019932123287863297?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 19, 2018</a></blockquote>

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Related Coverage: https://thegoldwater.com/news/28341-Salmonella-in-Cut-Melons-Makes-60-People-Sick-Across-Eight-States

Health officials confirm that the bacteria can be found anywhere in salt water at any time and can also be found in raw or undercooked shellfish.

Michael Drennon, Disease Intervention Services Program Manager at the Sarasota County Health Dept. Said: "We tell everybody regardless of age or immune status that they should avoid eating raw or undercooked shellfish or seafood or avoid or being in the salt water when they have an open wound or lesion on their body.”

Related Coverage: https://thegoldwater.com/news/31130-Illinois-Iowa-More-Than-100-People-Ill-from-Fast-Food-Restaurant-Salad

Social media users are reacting on the news with fear and paranoia.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Man dies after eating oysters in Florida don&#39;t eat the seafood don&#39;t eat the oysters don&#39;t eat the shrimp of the waters are contaminated men eating bacteria took him and we got same other shit on the East Coast don&#39;t eat the seafood in Florida contaminated.</p>&mdash; maris lopez (@weluvdogs53) <a href="https://twitter.com/weluvdogs53/status/1019954748420747264?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 19, 2018</a></blockquote>

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Why do all the fun things have to kill you?!? 😫</p>&mdash; Lily Stolzberg (@LilyStolzberg) <a href="https://twitter.com/LilyStolzberg/status/1019943211647762432?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 19, 2018</a></blockquote>

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">So avoid the all you can eat oysters at the Chinese buffet up the street?</p>&mdash; Primary Debate (@Primary_Debate) <a href="https://twitter.com/Primary_Debate/status/1019943307194052608?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 19, 2018</a></blockquote>

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">And this is why you are supposed to cook things before you eat them. A terrible thing to happen and my condolences to this family for their tragic loss.</p>&mdash; James A Welch (@JamesAWelch) <a href="https://twitter.com/JamesAWelch/status/1019937068187897856?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 19, 2018</a></blockquote>

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Drennon said that common symptoms include fever, diarrhea, and vomiting which can progress severely and quickly to the point of hospitalization.

Related Coverage: https://thegoldwater.com/news/31509-Florida-Teen-Dies-After-Eating-Popular-Chocolate-Chip-Cookies

In rare cases, the bacteria can also become “flesh-eating disease.”’ But the more usual when someone consumes the bacteria, the symptoms are more gastrointestinal.

Health officials are still working with the restaurant to get more information in their ongoing probe on the incident. It is not clear yet whether the restaurant and workers directly linked to the oysters served to the elderly man who died will be charged.

Source:

http://www.fox13news.com/news/local-news/man-dies-from-bacterial-infection-from-vibrio-vulnificus-in-raw-oysters

Twitter: #MAGA #KeepAmericaGreat! #Florida #Oysters #ManDiesAfterEatingFreshOysters #Bacteria #HealthNews
Share this article
Thoughts on the above story? Comment below!
0 Comment/s


What do you think about this article?
Name
Comment *
Image