By Savannah Smith   |  07-17-2018   News
Photo credit: Facebook | The Goldwater

A Florida mother is both heartbroken and enraged that her teen daughter met her sudden death after eating what should have been an innocent, popular-brand American chocolate cookies.

The grieving mother said her daughter, 15-year-old Alexi Ryann Stafford of Weston, took just one bite of a Chips Ahoy Reese’s peanut butter cookie and it proved to be a quick “fatal choice.”’

That is because as the mother, Kellie Travers-Stafford, herself explained, her daughter suffers from a severe peanut allergy. The mom was quick to establish, however, that her daughter knows about her restrictions, and normally was very careful about what she eats. The mom blames the problematic packaging of the chocolate chip as the culprit that led to her daughter’s untimely death.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">South Florida teen with peanut allergy dies after eating Chips Ahoy cookie <a href="https://t.co/78Z4k1BW0Y">https://t.co/78Z4k1BW0Y</a> <a href="https://t.co/FoSbLajxaK">pic.twitter.com/FoSbLajxaK</a></p>&mdash; WPTV (@WPTV) <a href="https://twitter.com/WPTV/status/1019205363537711109?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 17, 2018</a></blockquote>

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Travers Stafford said: "The top flap of the package was pulled back and the packaging was too similar to what we had previously deemed 'safe' to her.”

The mom showed the photos of the two packaging- one showing the Reese's variety that killed her daughter and one showing the regular chewy kind. Both have very similar red packaging. After taking a bite of the forbidden cookie, Alexi horrifically went into anaphylactic shock, and despite taking two EpiPen shots died in a matter of two hours.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Mom&#39;s heartbreaking warning after teen dies from eating Chips Ahoy cookie <a href="https://t.co/AebELf3lTJ">https://t.co/AebELf3lTJ</a> <a href="https://t.co/JrZJyNjiSr">pic.twitter.com/JrZJyNjiSr</a></p>&mdash; WGAL (@WGAL) <a href="https://twitter.com/WGAL/status/1019203847086960642?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 17, 2018</a></blockquote>

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Travers-Stafford took to social media to share her rage over what happened to her precious daughter. Her post has since gone viral with over 70,000 shares where she also wrote: "As a mother who diligently taught her the ropes of what was okay to ingest and what was not, I feel lost and angry because she knew her limits and was aware of familiar packaging, she knew what 'safe' was.”

Related Coverage: https://thegoldwater.com/news/31130-Illinois-Iowa-More-Than-100-People-Ill-from-Fast-Food-Restaurant-Salad

The mom said she dedicated their lives making sure her daughter would be safe from her grave peanut allergy.

Related Coverage: https://thegoldwater.com/news/16069-French-Salmonella-Baby-Milk-Scandal-Spreads-To-83-Countries

She concludes her post with a warning to all: “I want to share our story with everyone because we want to spread awareness. The company has different colored packaging to indicate chunky, chewy, or regular but NO screaming warnings about such a fatal ingredient to many people. Especially children.

It’s important to us to spread awareness so that this horrible mistake doesn’t happen again.”

Related Coverage: https://thegoldwater.com/news/28341-Salmonella-in-Cut-Melons-Makes-60-People-Sick-Across-Eight-States

Some have expressed their deep sympathies to the family left behind by the teen, while others also said that in retrospect they should have been more careful in the food she ate.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I am at a loss of words. Wow I can’t believe this happened and I believe the parents are right here…. May God bless your family and your poor innocent angel. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/allergiessuck?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#allergiessuck</a></p>&mdash; Fernando Anzoategui (@f_anzoategui19) <a href="https://twitter.com/f_anzoategui19/status/1019063731827953664?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 17, 2018</a></blockquote>

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">As someone with a nut allergy, this breaks my heart. However, I was taught to never assume a products safety because you can’t trust that products will always be safe.</p>&mdash; Kaitlyn (@kaitthecannuck) <a href="https://twitter.com/kaitthecannuck/status/1019069516549062656?ref_src=twsrc0%5Etfw">July 17, 2018</a></blockquote>

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Very sad mistake, but, it does say Reeses Peanut Butter Cup on the package.</p>&mdash; David Rich (@DavidRich954) <a href="https://twitter.com/DavidRich954/status/1019160350460203008?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 17, 2018</a></blockquote>

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I’m sorry, but is that gigantic Reese’s logo with a clear peanut butter cup not enough? It’s the first thing I saw without even knowing what the article was about. Hello?</p>&mdash; Adriana Perez (@Adrianainmiami) <a href="https://twitter.com/Adrianainmiami/status/1019200799044497413?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 17, 2018</a></blockquote>

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Related Coverage: https://thegoldwater.com/news/10103-Louisiana-Jambalaya-Feast-Leaves-1-Dead-125-Sick

Source:

http://www.wgal.com/article/moms-heartbreaking-warning-after-teen-dies-from-eating-chips-ahoy-cookie/22204725

Twitter: #MAGA #KeepAmericaGreat! #Florida #ChipsAhoy #PeanutAllergy #TeenDiesAfterEatingChipsAhoy #WarningtoParents
Share this article
Thoughts on the above story? Comment below!
12 Comment/s


Anonymous No. 31511 1531837864

What I'd like to know is if as a child she was slathered in peanut based anti Eczema creams? A family member has 6 of 8 kids with severe peanut allergies and their last 2 do not have allergies. The last 2 were allowed to "grow" out of the eczema without the creams. I think id rather go thru a rashy patch as a toddler than suffer a life of nut allergies.

Anonymous No. 31517 1531840616

Companies can't be held responsible for allergens in their product if it's written on the packaging that they're present. You can't ban peanuts because a couple of kids have messed up immune systems and shit tier genes.

Anonymous No. 31519 1531841171

>As a mother who diligently taught her the ropes of what was okay to ingest and what was not

Not diligent enough.

>she knew her limits

Obviously not.

>The mom said she dedicated their lives making sure her daughter would be safe from her grave peanut allergy.

She failed her daughter. She failed herself. She wasted her life dedicating herself and her daughter's life to a cause that still did not manage to instill enough caution into her daughters mind.

Frankly, this mother is completely at fault and should be jailed.

Anonymous No. 31520 1531841618

>What I'd like to know is if as a child she was slathered in peanut based anti Eczema creams? A family member has 6 of 8 kids with severe peanut allergies and their last 2 do not have allergies. The last 2 were allowed to "grow" out of the eczema without the creams. I think id rather go thru a rashy patch as a toddler than suffer a life of nut allergies.

Do eczema creams cause peanut allergies?

Anonymous No. 31525 1531846608

>not reading the ingredients list of food products before purchasing them

>with a severe allergy

>eating processed, sugar-filled garbage in the first place

Anonymous No. 31532 1531848368

She deserved it. It syas Reese’s right the fuck on it. Everyone knows that Reese’s implies peanut butter. If you’re too fucking stupid to check the ingredients before you eat something, you deserve to die of your allergies.

– guy with food allergy

Anonymous No. 31537 1531851133

What caused this dramatic increase in kids and people with Extreme Peanut allergies?

When I was a kid in GA. , I never knew or heard of 1 person with Peanut allergies.

Strawberry here and there by never Peanuts?

Then around the whiny 90's, it start up on the Airlines, then restaurants and etc…

Anonymous No. 31542 1531856485

Mom is trying to get paid, and media is facilitating. What kind of teenager doesnt know peanut butter has peanuts. It would seem the kid had a death wish. Its not like this was a toddler.

Anonymous No. 31543 1531856641

Notice the goofy names? Attention whore mom, imagine daughter must have had issues. Suicide by peanut

Anonymous No. 31566 1531872948

many of the creams in the past did contain peanut oils even though it’s common knowledge to keep baby’s away from nuts till at least one year old. Thoughts are they are the cause of lifelong allergies to nuts.

Anonymous No. 31585 1531888655

Idiots… Idiots everywhere.

Anonymous No. 31592 1531903633

it's sad and tragic, but unfortunately mother doesn't have a case. It says Reese's. They did not exercise due diligence. They were even foolish. Sad but true.

What do you think about this article?
Name
Comment *
Image