A Netflix producer has filed a suit on Monday at the New York Supreme Court against disgraced film mogul Harvey Weinstein for repeated sexual assault and abuse over a number of years.
Producer Alexandra Canosa of the canceled show “Marco Polo” enumerated at least 11 alleged incidents in her complaint including rape, other unspecified sexual assault, physical assault, verbal threats, forced sex acts and other abuses between 2010 and 2017. Court documents said locations where the abuses took place included rooms and suites in various hotels such as Manhattan’s Tribeca Grand Hotel, Beverly Hills’ Peninsula Hotel and Budapest’s Four Seasons Hotel.
Canosa was previously employed by The Weinstein Company, led by Weinstein until he was forced to step down in October after the spate of sexual misconduct allegations from various women.
The suit included an allegation of one instance of rape. Canosa claimed in her suit that Weinstein raped her in Malaysia, where parts of “Marco Polo” were shot, in May 2014. The series also debuted December of that same year.
In her suit, Canosa alleges that the once powerful producer “made it clear that if she did not succumb to his demands for sexual contact or if she exposed his unwanted conduct there would be retaliation, including humiliation, the loss of her job, and loss of any ability to work in the entertainment business.”
Like the many women who have come forward before her accusing Weinstein of sexual misconduct, Canosa also said in her complaint that Weinstein made sure she met with him under the pretense of doing work.
The suit claims that Weinstein forced himself on Canosa “despite repeated requests to stop.”
Actress Ashley Judd also filed a suit against Weinstein on Monday in Los Angeles for behaving inappropriately against her during the mid-1990’s.
In a statement, the camp of Weinstein through his lawyer Phyllis Kupferstein, said the relationship between Weinstein and Canosa was “consensual.”
The Weinstein Company, after declaring a bankruptcy is facing a sale, one of the conditions of which is that there should be a dedicated fund to take care of the compensation of the women who filed sexual harassment cases against Weinstein. The amount was earlier pegged to be around $90 million.