By Kyle James  |  03-21-2018   News
Photo credit: Vue.com

A movie theater is usually a place to relax and enjoy a film or two with some friends, but one man in the UK never came home from his trip to Vue Cinema in Birmingham. A freak accident claimed the life of a man who reached down beneath the high-end luxury seats to get his phone which fell during the movie.

The electric seat then moved causing his head to become "wedged under the electronic footrest of a cinema seat." The Vue Cinema theater chair that trapped the man's head caused him to have a massive panic attack which led to cardiac arrest. The man's death occurred on March 9 at Vue cinema in Birmingham's Star City leisure complex.

Related coverage: <a href="http://thegoldwater.com/news/20931-Zuckerberg-Pressure-Mounts-As-Facebook-Data-Hack-Called-Horrifying-By-US-EU-and-UK">Zuckerberg Pressure Mounts As Facebook Data Hack Called “Horrifying” By US, EU and UK</a>

The phone fell between the cinema's Gold Class seats at the end of a movie leading to the freak accident. Bystanders including the victim's partner worked to free the man's head but were not successful until they managed to break the footrest of the char. The seat reportedly suffered a malfunction leaving the victim unable to reverse the reclining footrest.

The West Midlands Ambulance Service confirmed paramedics responding to the scene were able to revive the man's heart at the scene. He was then taken to the city's Heartlands Hospital where he died. The cinema who owned the chair, Vue International, released a statement about the man's the death.

"A full investigation into the nature of the incident is ongoing. Our thoughts and condolences are with the family who have our full support and assistance."

Related coverage: <a href="https://thegoldwater.com/news/21056-Mark-Meechan-is-Going-To-Jail-for-Youtube-Nazi-Pug-Joke">Mark Meechan is Going To Jail for Youtube Nazi Pug Joke!</a>

The seats have not been banned from use just yet, but Birmingham City Council has begun a health and safety investigation into whether chairs present a hazard. Recently, electronic reclining theater chairs have become common across the world and no safety issues have been reported until now.

<i>On Twitter:</i>

<a href="https://twitter.com/MAGASyndicate">@MAGASyndicate</a>

Tips? Info? Send me a message!

Source: https://movieweb.com/movie-theater-death-head-stuck-seat-footrest-uk/

Twitter: #VueCinema #RecliningChair #Birmingham #StarCity #FreakAccident
Share this article
Thoughts on the above story? Comment below!
0 Comment/s


What do you think about this article?
Name
Comment *
Image