A 32-year-old man was just accompanying an elderly relative to the hospital when he died after he got sucked into an MRI machine in Mumbai, India on Saturday.
The victim has been identified as Rajesh Maru. He was just carrying an oxygen cylinder for his relative as they entered the Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) room at BYL Nair Charitable Hospital.
Maru’s brother-in-law, Harish Solanki, says a ward boy told them it was okay to bring the cylinder inside. In fact, objects containing metals are not allowed inside the MRI room as they could be pulled by the machine’s powerful magnet.
Solanki said the ward boy even said that the machine was switched off and stressed that it was fine for them to bring the cylinder inside the MRI room. Curiously, even the attending doctor, as well as the technician, didn’t say anything.
Maru was pulled into the machine with great force. Solanski narrated how as soon as Maru entered the room with the cylinder, he was sucked in and his hand got stuck there. It turned out that the machine was on. Maru’s body swelled up and he couldn’t speak.
Maru was bleeding heavily when he was pulled away. He was rushed to the emergency ward where he died in just 10 minutes.
Solanski blamed the hospital’s carelessness and misinformation for the untimely death of his brother-in-law.
A police case has been filed against the hospital’s doctor identified as Siddhant Shah, ward boy Vitthal Chavan and ward attendant Sunita Surve for causing death by negligence. The three were arrested yesterday.
A local lawmaker has demanded compensation and stern action against those responsible for the victim’s death.
The hospital is conducting an internal inquiry into the incident.
I have had 18 MRI tests and can’t do it anymore. The thing makes me so paranoid and claustrophobic(islamaphobic too), just freaks me out baby, yeah. Stupid indians.