It turns out Kevin Spacey wasn't just pretending to be a straight-up creep in House of Cards, according to his coworkers he actually embodies his on-screen character more than they would like. After Netflix suspended production indefinitely of the show earlier this week, multiple reports of sexual harassment allegations have surfaces adding credibility to Anthony Rapp's story of Spacy trying to have sex with him when he was 14.
<img src="https://media.8ch.net/file_store/0f12e9cbcce724d15be1c7d931d40bc7b26b063cf4316acd53eb297d20bbcf6f.jpg" style="max-height:640px;max-width:360px;">
<span style="margin-top:15px;rgba(42,51,6,0.7);font-size:12px;">Credit: playbill.com</span>
Among these allegations are reports from Spacey's own coworkers on the House of Cards show who say the megastar sexually assaulted them but did not want to reveal their identities. One production assistant says Spacey assaulted him during an earlier season and describes Spacey's behavior as "predatory".
The PA who came forward anonymously says he was told to drive Spacey to the set in Baltimore but while he was driving the actor put his hands down his pants with no warning or permission. He told CNN, "I was in a state of shock. He was a man in a very powerful position on the show and I was someone very low on the totem pole and on the food chain there."
The behavior is in line with other reports of sexual harassment from other members of the production team on the show that "included nonconsensual touching and crude comments and targeted production staffers who were typically young and male."
The reports are consistent with actor Anthony Rapp's initial claims and Thursday morning another man came forward to say he was groomed into a sexual relationship with the actor when he was 14. The relationship didn't end until the actor forced himself on the young boy who he idolized him but physical refused his advances pushing him off.
This week a filmmaker named Tony Montana also came forward saying that Spacey groped him and actor Roberto Cavazos in 2003 without his consent. Cavazos performed at London's Old Vic theater where Spacey served as artistic director from 2004 to 2015 and says it was standard behaviour for Spacey to prey on young actors at the theater.
"It seems the only requirement was to be a male under the age of 30 for Mr. Spacey to feel free to touch us. It was so common that it even became a local joke (in very bad taste)," Cavazos said.
Netflix and Media Rights Capitol have both released statements following the flurry of accusations this week.
"When the allegations broke about Kevin Spacey on Sunday night, in conjunction with MRC, we sent a representative to set on Monday morning. Netflix was just made aware of one incident, five years ago, that we were informed was resolved swiftly. On Tuesday, in collaboration with MRC, we suspended production, knowing that Kevin Spacey wasn’t scheduled to work until Wednesday. Netflix is not aware of any other incidents involving Kevin Spacey on-set. We continue to collaborate with MRC and other production partners to maintain a safe and respectful working environment. We will continue to work with MRC during this hiatus time to evaluate our path forward as it relates to the production, and have nothing further to share at this time."
Media Rights Capital:
"We are deeply troubled to learn about these new allegations that are being made to the press concerning Kevin Spacey’s interaction with members of the crew of House of Cards. As the producer of the show, creating and maintaining a safe working environment for our cast and crew has always been our top priority. We have consistently reinforced the importance of employees reporting any incident without fear of retaliation and we have investigated and taken appropriate actions following any complaints. For example, during our first year of production in 2012, someone on the crew shared a complaint about a specific remark and gesture made by Kevin Spacey. Immediate action was taken following our review of the situation and we are confident the issue was resolved promptly to the satisfaction of all involved. Mr. Spacey willingly participated in a training process and since that time MRC has not been made aware of any other complaints involving Mr. Spacey.
In response to the current situation, on Tuesday of this week, MRC installed an anonymous complaint hotline, crisis counselors, and sexual harassment legal advisors for the crew. MRC will continue to thoroughly investigate all current claims and any new claims that are formally brought to our attention, and will continue to monitor our own production and practices to ensure that our cast and crew feel safe and supported."
The last word from Spacey was a statement through his public relations representative who said the actor is "taking the time necessary to seek evaluation and treatment. No other information is available at this time."
Tips? Info? Send me a message!